• Use LED Light bulb – LED light bulb emit less heat than incandescent bulbs.
7. Shut Down Idle Equipment.
A lot of restaurants waste thousands of baht a month because they leave idle equipment running, this include indoor and out outdoor lighting. Try solar-powered outdoor lights that can charge themselves.
8. Make The Kitchen Layout More Efficient.
The layout of the kitchen can directly affect the efficiency of the equipment.
• Breathing space – The refrigeration equipment needs room to breathe and expel hot air as part of the cooling process. Without proper ventilation space around the unit, it uses more energy to stay cool.
• Separate Heating and Cooling Equipment – For example, if the oven is next to the ice machine, The ambient air will be hotter and the ice machine won’t operate efficiently.
Energy Saving Tips for Restaurants
Restaurant use about 2.5 times more energy per sq.m. than any other type of commercial building.
Also reducing restaurant’s energy consumption not only lower the utility cost but also better for the environment.Some energy saving tips might help to conserve the energy.
1. Use Energy Efficient Equipment.
Switch to energy efficient equipments such as :
• High Efficiency Fryers – upgrading your deep fryer to an energy–efficient one will not only save money on utilities but also fryer oil as well . New high- efficiency fryer models experience less scorching which extends the life of the oil.
• High Efficiency Dish Machines – Using an Energy Saving certified dish machine can save about 45,000 bath/year compared to a standard one.
2. Equipment Maintenance.
• Refrigerator Condenser Coil – The condenser coils on the refrigeration units become clogged with dust, the result is that those refrigerators have to work harder. By keeping the coil clean provides a major boost to the efficiency of the refrigerator.
• Water Filters – Water filter prevent calcification and mineral deposits in any equipment that uses water. By replacing the water filters at the appropriate time will ensure that scale buildup doesn’t clog the internal components of the equipment and affect the efficiency of the unit.
3. Reduce Water Consumption.
Restaurants require large amount of water to sustain operations. There are some simple ways to reduce water consumption in the restaurant and lower the water supply bill.
• Use Low-Flow Spray Valves – Use lower GPM (gallons per minute) rating which use much less water than the older spray valve
• Use Low-Flow Aerators – Using low flow aerators that limit the amount of water flowing out of the faucet and lower the GPM to save water and money.
• Repair Leaky Faucets – Over time, the drips from a simple leaky faucet add up. Many new faucet parts are designed so that you can swap them out quickly and easily without calling a plumber.
4. Use Energy–Efficient Lighting.
By using energy efficient lighting not only save on the utility costs but also help conserving energy and lowering green house emissions.
• LED Bulbs – LED bulbs use less electricity and last up to 10 times longer than incandescent bulb.
5. Decrease Heat Usage.
• Invest in a Smart Thermostat – Smart thermostat can be programmed remotely and are able to optimize energy usage. Many are also tamper- resistant to prevent unauthorized adjustments.
• Lower Water Temps on The dish Machine – Mandatory dish washing temperatures in food service industry are around 60°C, So don’t use water that is hotter than needed.
• Unheated Hand Dryers – Use energy efficient hand dryers that only on forced air instead of heated air can use up to 80% less energy than a standard one.
6. Reduce Ambient Temperatures in the kitchen.
When the ambient temperatures in the kitchen are too high, all the refrigeration equipment works extra hard to keep foods chilled.
• Use Induction Equipment – induction cookers and induction equipment work without the use of flame or burner. They transfer heat directly to the cookware while the surrounding air stays cool.
• Kitchen Exhaust Hoods – Use condensate hoods above the dish machine and steam equipments to help remove hot air out of the kitchen