The rising population of elderly people has grown continuously. For this reason, elder-proofing your condo is essential to ensure independent living for your older loved ones.
• Put an intercom in the bedroom Observe the basic condo safety tips for the elderly. Enable help to be viable for your loved one. Make sure your senior citizen parents have an intercom. In their bedroom mobilization power is crippled when people reach old age. Equip the elderly to get help in no time in your condo. Let your beloved safety call the condo guard from an intercom while in bed, in case a medical or other similar emergencies strike, in the absence of your presence.
2. Let Light In Light increase energy, creativity and productivity. It is wise to position your desk in front of a window. Wood and venetian blinds are perfect for home office window as they filter the light to minimize glare on your computer and the slats can be adjusted to control light levels as the sun moves round during the day.
• Storage Avoid Clutter Elderly people’s vision is not keenly sharp as it used to be, place the stuff that clutter your condo in a storage container. You’ll never know if a tiny object can injure your senior citizen family member.
• Light Up Automatically Use sensor lights in your condo. Some elderly who are severely crippled cognitively fumble in locating the light switch. Lighting up your condo readily for your fragile family prevents avoidable untoward incidents from occurring.
•Expand a Bathroom’s Door space 0.90 m. door width is recommended to accommodate elderly people in wheelchairs and walkers.
• Shower Mats for Extra Protection Put a shower mat in the bath area. Choose a smooth-feeling shower mat. A shower mat avoids trips and fallswithout compromising the quality of bath experience for the elderly.
• Relax in Comfortable Seats Provide comfortable seats in the living room, buy seats with sturdy but soft armrests. Comfortable seats avoid back and other body pains among older people.
• Raise Your Toilet Seat Most elderly people have brittle knees. This make it difficult for them to use the toilet seat. Install a raised toilet seat for easy use, to avoid having your granny dread moment spent in the toilet.
• Set a Regular Default Water Temperature One of the most common accidents among the elderly is getting scalded. To protect cognitively impaired elderly from scalding, automatically set the thermostat of the water heater 45°c or below. This is an ideal temperature for an enjoyable shower.
• Condo Space for ExerciseElderly people need to keep fit more than anything else. It is important to maintain a healthy bodily condition asmuch as possible, especially during old age. Bring in great shape maximizes opportunities for older people to live longer. Set a space in your condo that is especially meant for exercise sessions. Make sure the space is free fromclutter of all sorts. To avoid accidents among the elderly when exercising.